The Indian economy has been growing at an exponential rate for the last two decades opening lots of opportunities for newbie entrepreneurs. This increase in the standard of living has led to an increase in demand for luxury goods, such as gemstones and jewelry. India is amongst the foremost players in offering a dazzling variety of gemstones. From emeralds to rubies, diamonds to sapphires, you can find almost all the varieties in India. India’s gem and jewelry industry has a lot of demands from global markets. With a large variety of gems, it has become easier for global customers to shop for Indian jewelry. Moreover, the skilled artisans of India make jewelry more valuable.
Role of Gems and Jewellery Export Promotion Council (GJEPC)
GJEPC is the nodal agency for promoting exports of gems and jewelry. GJEPC’s mandate includes:
- Working towards increasing exports
- Facilitating access to global markets
- Awareness generation regarding the Indian gems and jewellery brand
GJEPC’s activities are focused on enhancing the sector’s competitiveness, increasing awareness about the Indian gems and jewelry brand, and facilitating access to global markets. The main objective of GJEPC is to increase the value of the gems and jewellery exported from India.
What facilities can one get as a member of (GJEPC)?
- GJEPC collaborates with other countries’ trade councils to organise international trade fairs, where Indian exporters are encouraged to participate. These events help you out to connect with international buyers and suppliers. You can also get advice on how to improve your products so that they are more likely to be sold overseas. By attending trade fairs, you can also connect with other exporters and companies that might be interested in buying your products. You can also get to know new innovations incorporated into your products.
- GJEPC has tie-ups with various insurance providers to provide insurance to its members. You can also apply for specific insurance plans. You can also get Mediclaim. Before applying for insurance, you must fill in an application form and submit it to GJEPC. After receiving the form, GJEPC will forward it to the company concerned, evaluating your application and informing GJEPC about the decision. You will be given a Parichay card that will help you avail of various benefits if you are working on an independent basis.
- You can enrol as a member of GJEPC to receive regular updates and market insights about the gems and jewellery sector. GJEPC has launched a mobile app called GJEPC. With the help of this app, exporters can receive real-time notifications about new markets and updates, download necessary forms and documents, get real-time updates about inspections, stay connected with expo events, and much more.
- The GJEPC has tie-ups with several public and private institutes to offer technology upgrades and skill development programmes to the exporters and small and medium enterprises in the jewellery sector. The Council also provides input and advice on setting up new manufacturing facilities and increasing productivity at existing ones.
- GJEPC also helps increase awareness among the exporters on how to get the right certifications for exports. GJEPC can assist exporters in getting the right documentation for export from India.
What is the registration process with GJEPC?
- First, you have to visit the official website of GJEPC and then click on registration in the extreme right-hand corner.
- Start filling out the form.
- Then click the submit button.
- You will get a mail from GJPEC with the necessary credential in your registered mail id.
- Again, log into the GJEPC website and fill up the membership form with the credential sent to your mail inbox.
- Then you will need to pay your payment online.
- You become a member.
What documents are to be submitted?
- An associate membership application, Challan, and RCMC form signed by the authorized signatory involved in the export business are the necessary documents.
- A signature slip is also proof of acknowledgment that the form has been signed. It is mandatory to have a signature on the form to give authenticity, and it is also proof that the director of the company has signed the form. The banker’s signature is also necessary to ascertain that the authorised person has signed the form.
- The exporters must have the IEC in place while exporting the goods out of the country. The IEC is mandatory for all exporters to import and export of goods. This code is required to enable the government to track the movement of goods in and out of the country.
- The partnership deed acts as a contract. It is submitted to the relevant government authorities for their due verification and acceptance. The partners start operating the business only after the authorities’ verification and acceptance of the deed.
- PAN is your unique identity in the form of a 10-digit alphanumeric code issued by the Income Tax Department. It is also needed.
- Suppose you are applying for a loan from a bank or a financial institution. In that case, it is mandatory to submit a self-attested copy of your UAN/SSI/IM for the respective category. This is necessary to get the correct processing of your loan application.
- The self-attested copy of the Aadhar, Passport, and PAN of the exporter must be submitted. It will help in the verification process and act as evidence of the authenticity of the submitted details.
Summary – The GJEPC assists exporters through documentation, credit facilities, Market Research, training, and networking. GJEPC also helps exporters explore new markets and find new selling platforms for exporters. Amazon Global Selling program enables you to list your gems and jewelry products on 18+ Amazon international marketplaces in over 200+ countries and territories. With Amazon Global Selling, you can now sell your products internationally on Amazon Marketplaces like USA, UK, Japan, Australia, UAE, etc. Sellers need to set up their accounts and select the marketplace they want to export their products to. After setting up the account, sellers can start uploading their products as a listing. Amazon will create a new shipping profile for that particular country. After that, products will appear on Amazon websites in those countries. Exporters then can do their business.