Monitoring the flow and density of liquids has become very critical today. But such processes have been made easier through the use of flow meters. With flowmeter devices, you can rest assured to get accurate results regarding fluid flow rate and density. Before buying a flow meter, make sure you inquire about different flow meters and measure density and flow rate using them.
You will find many flow meters in the shops. That is why it will be essential to know how to measure density and fluid flow rate using them. It will help you pick the right choice of flowmeter that suits the medium you seek to monitor.
Ways on how to measure the density of fluid and flow
This is the most common method used when it comes on how to measure the density of fluids. Many prefer this method because it is simple. When using the inferential method, you infer fluid density from temperature and pressure measurements. Besides, it is cheaper to rely on pressure and temperature measurement to find fluid density than using a densitometer or chromatograph.
Measuring of fluid components
You can use a chromatograph to analyze gas samples if you measure components of natural gas. After analysis, you will find amounts of different elements in the gas. Once done, the density calculations of every element can help determine the whole sample’s density.
Direct density measurement
It is easy to measure the density of fluids and gases straight by use densitometers. The density meters can offer you the most accurate results.
Ideal Flowmeters to measure flow and density of fluids
Do you want to buy a flow meter? You will have to make sure you get the right device that offers you accurate flow and monitored fluid density. Many flow meters are in the market, but not all of them will fit your application. Some of them are faced with a change of fluid density, while others do not. It’s also vital to know how to measure density using such devices before purchasing.
Here are the best types of flow meters you may consider for accurate density and fluid flow rate.
Turbine flow meter
The fluid that flows through the meter engages the rotor making it rotate. As the rotor spins, it leads to the creation of signals that determine the rate of fluid flow. You can trust this flowmeter to give you accurate results. If you get an automatic turbine flow meter, it aids in minimizing the adverse effects of turbulence. It stabilizes and straightens the fluid flow.
Pros of turbine flow meter
- You can install this flow meter with ease.
- It is also easy to maintain.
- The flow meter gives a convenient signal output.
- It can function over a broad range of pressure and temperatures.
- Offers the right level of accurate
- The flow meter is a simple and durable connection.
A magnetic flow meter has a transducer used for measuring fluid flow. The fluid flows through a magnetic field and induces a voltage across the liquid. The voltage signals help to get the fluid flow rate. If the fluid flow is faster, the voltage signal becomes greater. The walls of the flow tube have sensors that pick up the voltage signals. Signals are then sent to the transmitter, which reads the fluid flow rate. This type of flow meter doesn’t have moving parts, which makes it suitable for measuring wastewater.
Advantages of magnetic flow meter
- It doesn’t cause pressure drop since it never obstructs the flow path.
- You can get flow rate results when using a magnetic flow meter.
- It is suitable for use in monitoring both clean and dirty liquid.
- Low maintenance cost
- Can function in both forward and reverse flow directions
- It doesn’t have moving parts, which reduces tear and wear.
This is a great choice of a flowmeter that measures the flow and density of the liquid. But even before a purchase decision, ensure you inquire from suppliers how to measure density using it. The meter uses the Coriolis Effect to determine the rate of fluid flow and density. A Coriolis flowmeter introduces Coriolis speeding up into the flowing stream, which forms some forces. It’s those forces that cause distortions of the measuring tube. Once distortions occur, they are picked by sensors that change them into signal output and gives flow rate and density results.
Pros of Coriolis flowmeter
- They offer the most accurate mass flow results.
- You will get the precise density of the fluid you measure when you use the Coriolis flowmeter.
- They are self-draining
- When using a Coriolis flow meter, you don’t require an inlet or outlet.
- It can function in both reverse and forward directions.
- You can optimize the measuring range of the Coriolis flowmeter for both density and flow rate.
- Coriolis flowmeter is not affected by changes in viscosity, temperature, and even pressure.
Get a suitable flow meter that helps you to monitor liquid flow and density with precision. Many flow meters are within your reach. But it’s vital to know how to measure density and flow rate using each of them before buying. That way, you will be able to get the most suitable device. Once you have the right device, you can obtain an accurate flow rate and fluid density.